Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bret's Gurl.

This post is dedicated to my roommates from 3608-2. Miss yinz.

When I was in college, I lived in an apartment with 5 other people. The place was a dump, and we thought it was a palace. The 6 of us couldn't have been more different, but we loved each other fiercely and that year was a blast.

Our group brought together a mixture of majors, interests, religions, relationship statuses, and core values, which made for some pretty intense household debates from time to time. There was one thing though that consistently brought us together on a weekly basis, and that was the VH1 reality series Rock of Love.

I wish I remember how we even discovered the show in the first place. Maybe it was because the show was such a train-wreck, you'd start watching and just couldn't look away. Maybe it made us all feel better about our life choices. Maybe it was just on at a convenient time. Regardless, each week without fail, we'd gather in the living room to watch peroxide blondes drink vodka in bikinis and yell ridiculous things at one another like, "You sluts aren't here for Bret!"

Shockingly, the girl Bret chose at the end of season 1, didn't work out. (Every rose has it's thorn indeed.) Luckily, this meant we got another season! I joked while job searching that becoming a contestant on the 3rd season would be my back up plan after graduation. (Calm down Mom, I was only kidding!)

During finals week in the midst of season 2, the artist had been locked in the library all day, and lost track of time, until I called her.

"It's 8!" I yelled.
"omg! Rock of Love!" She shrieked.

Literally only 3 minutes later, she arrives at the back door disheveled, out of breath, and carrying a stack of books, but in time for the show. That was the importance of Rock of Love.

I'm writing all of this because Bret Michaels recently had an interview with Oprah, where he delivered gems such as, "Obviously in my situation, for styling purposes, I need a bandanna. That's number one." AND talked about HIS NEW REALITY TV SHOW!

Unfortunately Bret Michaels: Life as I Know, doesn't sound quite as scandalous and entertaining as Rock of Love. Also unfortunately, the 6 of us no longer all live in Pittsburgh, so we won't all be able to hang out and watch it together. Maybe we could have a skype party or something? Actually, if this isn't a sign for a reunion, I don't know what is. Come out here everyone. Precisely and I will host you at la loft, and we'll hang out with Bret.


2 comments:

  1. Nice pic of yinz.

    Quick editorial question: Was there 5 or 6 of you (first paragraph)...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived with 5 other people, so there were 6 of us all together ;)

    ReplyDelete